This past weekend Ella and I selected brownies for our big baking adventure. There are many, many, many different brownie recipes to choose from.
Here is the one we selected:
1 ¼ cups all –purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup cocoa
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
¼ cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
¼ cup cocoa
3 tablespoons milk
2 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13X9X2-inch baking pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar. With mixer running, add eggs, vanilla, and flour mixture. Beat at medium speed for 1 minute.
- Spread batter in pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes; for a denser brownie, bake 5 minutes longer. Cool in pan.
- To make chocolate frosting: In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, cocoa and milk. Add confectioner’s sugar and beat until smooth. Spread frosting over brownies. Cut into squares or bars.
Our panel of taste testers (Grandpa Murray, sisters Nora and Lainey, who is also our photographer) thought they were delicious. Ella felt that they were ok, but perhaps too sweet and had too much flour. I have to agree that they are terribly sweet. Lainey recommends that you have a big glass of milk with these!!!
Every baking experience we have is a huge success as far as I am concerned. What a wonderful way to spend time with my awesome grandkids.
Stay tuned for more baking adventures!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Until next time,